Bogdan Cioropa Brighton Rapist

Bogdan Cioropa Brighton RapistBogdan Cioropa Brighton Rapist

At a house in Brighton on Friday, April 9, 2021, Rapist Bogdan Cioropa, 28, of Staplefield Drive in Brighton, sexually assaulted his victim, a woman aged 17 at the time.

She told authorities about the assault, and Cioropa was taken under suspicion of rape the following day.

Specialist police helped the woman throughout an inquiry.

Later charged with rape, attempted oral rape and sexual assault, Cioropa departed the nation before his trial was scheduled to begin.

Proceeding in his absence, a jury at Hove Crown Court decided that he was guilty of all three counts on Thursday, September 14.

Cioropa was convicted absent to nine years in prison at Lewes Crown Court on Wednesday, November 22.

Along with a 15-year Sexual Harm Prevention Order and a 15-year restraining order, he will be a registered sex offender for a lifetime.

Following a protracted search for Cioropa across Europe, the Crown Prosecution Service has a warrant for his arrest and extradition.

Strict policies guarantee he would be caught should he try to re-enter the UK.

Cioropa’s victim said in a victim impact statement presented to the court: “Thanks to you, my whole life changed. From innocence to the atrocities occurring on our planet to not being able to rely on anyone, I changed. I find it difficult to trust people and often question their motives.

“I had been warned about monsters like you my entire life and how I should be careful, but at the time, I was still a youngster; I had never anticipated you to be one of those I should have been watching.

“I am grateful for the support I have received from my family and friends, the police, and most importantly, Laura from Survivors’ Network, who has listened to me speak for hours on all my thoughts.”

“I would like to thank this courageous young woman for the determination she has shown in not only reporting Cioropa’s crimes initially but for her supporting a court process delayed by his refusal to attend the trial and face justice in person,” said Detective Constable Laura Pettitt.

“The jury decided unanimously that he was guilty of all three crimes and will be imprisoned where he cannot endanger women any more.

“As they try to go on with their lives, this outcome should give his victim and her family some degree of solace.

“If you or someone you know is a victim of crime, kindly let the police know online using 101 or by phoning 999 in an emergency. You will be believed and supported; we will try our best to get you justice.


If you or anyone you know have been affected by the people highlighted in this article, then please report those individuals to the Police on 101 (999 if an emergency) or visit their online resources for further details of the options for reporting a crime. You can also make a report at Crimestoppers should you wish to be completely anonymous. There is help available on our support links page.